Sunday, December 4, 2011

Years ago,when the wind blew at nights, my grandfather couldn't sleep. He knew that,in the morning, he would face damage,on his farm, as the result of fierce canyon winds. My grandpa used to always tell me, "The wind bringeth no good thing."

Last thursday night I couldn't sleep. I thought of my grandfather as hurricane force winds crashed down on my neighborhood. When the terrible wind storm passed, I drove around the neighborhood and viewed the aftermath of this violent storm. House after house had lost trees, or fences, or shingles.

My house was miraculously spared. I lost one little shingle. But so many of my neighbors and ward members weren't so lucky.

There were some good things that came out of the storm. I came to appreciate the unsung heros, the brave men and women who did their job and fought bitter cold winds to restore my power.

In addition to power company employees, many of my ward members and neighbors went out of their way to help others in the wake of the storm. It is said that disasters bring out the worst in people, and while looting may happen in some parts, over past few days, the acts of kindness and service from my neighbors and ward members for other neighbors and ward members was a wonderful example of selflessness.

Today Stake leaders announced that church meetings would be cut short so members could return to their homes and then spend time helping neighbors with preparations for another wind storm. Today we will trade suits for work clothes and give service instead of lessons.

For all those who lost trees or who will lose trees tonight, Jacob 5 is on point. And the Lord of the vineyard caused that it should be digged about, and pruned, and nourished, saying unto his servant: It grieveth me that I should lose this tree; wherefore, that perhaps I might preserve the roots thereof that they perish not, that I might preserve them unto myself, I have done this thing. Wherefore, go thy way; watch the tree, and nourish it, according to my word.

Pine trees in Utah need a slow and steady supply of water for several days in order for the roots to go deeper. Like our own lives, our branches often prosper, while our roots remain shallow. Then big storms of life blow and trees without deep roots crash down. We can blame the storm, Perhaps the roots are just as much to blame. As we prepare for the next storm, let's not forget to nourish the roots. A small and steady stream of truth can save a soul.

1 comment:

  1. I love your concluding paragraph in this post. You have identified a common theme in the toppling of trees and people. . . namely, a shallow connection to that which gives strength while accumulating the weight of apparent success.

    ReplyDelete