Tuesday, March 6, 2012

While it is Called Today

Yesterday I proved once again that I am a self righteous jerk. I said things I shouldn't have said and made things worse.

Today is a new day, and I resolve to repent and do better and not lose out on opportunities to grow. There is a poem and a hymn that reflect the importance of living life each day to the fullest and cherishing the moments of each day.

I wrote this poem and have shared it on this blog before but it is fitting to share it again.

Someday Isle
I charted a ship to Someday Isle
and dreamed of a glorious paradise sun.
I set my sails high and manned the wheel
I hoped for a fast wind and a strong run.
I’d heard of the treasures on Someday Isle
and dreamed of great riches and fame
So I sold all I had for my boat and supplies
but I knew all my wealth I’d regain.
The voyage was rugged, the waves were quite rough
and at times I thought all was lost
But I held on to that wheel and forged on ahead
“I’ll make it, regardless the cost”
One day I spotted dry land close ahead,
So I set my sails high once more.
I didn’t steer clear, enough of the reef
and I crashed far from the shore.
I’m stranded here now on Someday Isle
with no hope of rescue in sight.
But someday, I’ll make it back home to the shore
and tell of my terrible plight.
Life is a voyage of jewels and success
the foolish sailor will say.
But I realize the real jewel now
is the time that I spend with today.

And here is the hymn

Today, While the Sun Shines, no. 229

Today, while the sun shines, work with a will;
Today all your duties with patience fulfill.
Today, while the birds sing, harbor no care;
Call life a good gift; call the world fair.

Today seek the treasure better than gold,
The peace and the joy that are found in the fold.
Today seek the gems that shine in the heart;
While here we labor, choose the better part.

Today seek for goodness, virtue, and truth,
As crown of your life and the grace of your youth.
Today, while the heart beats, live to be true,
Constant and faithful all the way through.

[Chorus]
Today, today, work with a will;
Today, today, your duties fulfill.
Today, today, work while you may;
Prepare for tomorrow by working today.

Today is another day and I will try harder to be more like my Savior, while it is
called today.

No comments:

Post a Comment