Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Twelve Days of Valentines

Several years ago, for Christmas and my wife’s birthday, which are only a few weeks apart, I dropped the ball on gifts. I procrastinated buying gifts for my wife until the last minute. When I finally made the last minute purchases, the gifts I purchased were very lame and not very heartfelt. Needless to say I was embarrassed at my mediocre effort and although she didn’t say anything, I could tell she felt a little disappointed on both occasions.

So that same year I decided to make amends by trying to make Valentines Day a little more special than before. I decided to invent a new kind of holiday tradition. I decided to celebrate the 12 Days of Valentines, instead of just one day. It would be patterned after the 12 Days of Christmas. Starting February 3rd, for the twelve days leading up to Valentines Day, I would surprise my wife with different cards, treats, gifts and other goodies.

It was a success! My wife loved it! In some small way, Valentines Day that year, was able help make up for the mistakes I had made on Christmas and on my wife's birthday.

It has been several years since that landmark Valentines Day. I have repeated the tradition every year since then. I have loved the chance to go shopping for my wife and find different and creative ways to say “I Love You.”

February 14th has come and gone. I have just wrapped up another 12 days of Valentines. This year I was tight on cash and knew that I could not afford to buy any big gifts. But I still wanted to my wife to know that she is the best thing to ever happen to me.

Well I did end up buying some gifts. Unfortunately my wife had to work today, but we were able to go to dinner and a movie yesterday. We saw the new film, appropriately titled, "Valentines Day". Like most romantic comedies, it also had a moral to the story and a message that touched me.

Sometimes the best things we can give are not from the store, they are from our heart.

If I could have given my wife 12 things this year for Valentines I would have hoped to give twelve virtues along with the gifts. These 12 virtues or ideals are twelves things I want or need to incorporate in my life to benefit our marriage. Instead of twelve gifts they are twelve principles I believe can help any marriage out, including my own. They all start with the letter "T".

I found twelve words that began with the letter “T” that express what I want to change in myself for my marriage. They are my self improvement wishlist.

In addition to the T words I also wrote a quick phrase by each word that i believe helps me remember the type of gesture that I want to bring to my marriage.

Mostly, I want these 12 things to last longer than just 12 days. I want to make these 12 a perminant part of my everyday life. So here they are:


1. TESTIMONY BEAR IT

2. TENDERNESS FEEL IT

3. TRUTH TELL IT

4. TIME SPEND IT

5. THRIFT SAVE IT

6. TOKENS & TRINKETS GIVE IT

7. TALK SAY IT

8. TASKS DO IT

9. THANKS EXPRESS IT

10. TOUCH SHARE IT

11. THOUGHFULNESS SHOW IT

12. TEMPERANCE ENDURE IT


The last 12 days have been wonderful! I hope to continue the tradition long into the future. But I am also hoping to make the list of 12 ideas a part of my ordinary life so that I can continue to have an extraordinary marriage with my wife.

So here's to another Valentines Day. Hope you had a great day Sweetheart!

1 comment:

  1. I like your "T" words list and your idea of 12 days of Valentines. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete