Saturday, December 26, 2009

What does it mean to be a "deep thinker"?

Although I am just beginning my blogging quest, I spend a great deal of time writing down my thoughts. My thoughts may not reflect a high level of intelligence. I rarely read, don't know a whole lot of facts and figures, and my mathmatical and reasoning skills are fairly poor. But I ponder. I wonder as I wander. I think deeply about things.

My ideas and answers may be flawed. But they are all a work in progress, for I am merely a work in progress.

Here is a poem I wrote for my grandfather for his 80th Birthday. (I've changed the words slightly from the original text because my grandfather has since passed away).

A Beacon from the Shore

When life gets oh so busy that you don't have time to think
And life's demands so hectic that you'll either swim or sink

Stop and take a moment and assess the course you're on
And maybe then you'll realize where others have gone wrong.

Life's full of sea fairing sailors who set sail without a map
And rush about the ocean seeking whatever they can catch.

Oh some return successful with their vessels filled with gold
But most get lost and shipwrecked from the storms and wind and cold.

But there are lights that can be seen even in the darkest night
That keep a sailor safe and sure and provide a guidling light.

A lighthouse sends a warning of the dangers found below
But also gives the sailor a hopeful way back home.

See although it isn't flashy there's another light inside
At the center of the beacon that really is the guide.

And if the weary sailor keeps his eye upon that light
The light will never fail him and he'll make it back alright.

It doesn't take a lighthouse to be a shinning light
I know of one wise sailor who has guided all his life.

My grandpa was always by my side through all the thick and thin
He was a light, an anchor even when I didn't win.

And although he wasn't flashy his light was sure and true
And he'll always go on guiding until we make it through.

So when life gets oh so busy that you don't have time to think
And life's demand so hectic, you'll either swim or sink.

Stop and take a moment and find that light once more
For you'll never ever perish with a beacon from the shore.



My grandfather was born in December so I remember fondly celebrating his many birthdays. We miss him. Reading this poem reminds me of him and the importance of taking time to think.

2 comments: